Sunday, April 26, 2009

Are we Dutch? Or are we Danish?

Thunderstorms aside, Michele and I took advantage of the only two hours on Saturday in which there was not torrential downpours. We ended up getting a little bit wet towards the end, but Kellyn remained dry and content as ever. Saturday was Dutch Day at the Thanksgiving Point Tulip Festival which meant lots of food and merchandise vendors on hand ( not to mention world class accordion players and not a single one playing Grandpa Cook's favorite, Beer Barrel Polka). As soon as we entered the vendor area, a crazy Dutch woman came up to me and started blabbering to us in Dutch. I tried telling her that I don't speak Hollandese but she was convinced I was from the land of tulips, windmills, wooden shoes, and dikes ( I love stereotyping and no I am not using a vulgar word). Finally she asked where I hailed from and I told her I was a descendant of King Gorm of Denmark himself. She told me to prove it and I did the haka for her which she believed to be a viking war dance and everything was settled. As a side note, its amazing how similar Michele found Dutch hot chocolate to be to Starbucks hot chocolate.


Michele and Kellyn off the beaten path ( which was okay unlike some of the visitors who were doing tulip angels)



Lunch time- best part of the day




Michele and Kellyn going over the worlds largest man made waterfall ( largest because no one had tried to build a large one before)



Kellyn in front of worlds largest man made waterfall (Michele excused herself from walking down the hill because of high heels)



Dad and daughter planning out flowers for a future wedding which dad will never allow to take place



Looks oddly similar to the Russian palaces in St. Petersburg




Who says Utah is a desert? Maybe they meant dessert.



Ducks in a pond quack a happy song. I wonder what Canadian geese and goslings quack. These geese were actually from the Bow River in Canada and said that my dad needs to bike harder to get in shape for the Whistler trip.

Michele enjoying some fine views and some fine Dutch hot chocolate.

No comments: